Sunday, April 11, 2010

Adaptation

I started to cry. I couldn't believe she was really leaving. "Don't worry daddy," she explained,

"Stanford isn't too far away. I'll make sure to call you often, and i'll still see you on holidays! I'll

still get to see you daddy." For some reason, that didn't seem to help comfort me very much. I

continued to hug her, and started nervously giving her advice on boys, driving, and how to work

hard. Ava laughed, told me that I had told her this several times. I love her laugh and her smile,

I'm sure going to miss that. Sure I can't wait to have alone time with my wife Noelle, but it sure

didn't mean that this was going to be easy letting her go.

Noelle hugged Ava, then I hugged her one last time. I whispered in her ear, "I love you baby,

goodbye." And she was off. We got in the car, Noelle started to talk; " Casey, are you gonna be

okay sweetie? She'll be fine. We've raised her well, don't ya think?" I smiled and nodded my

head. There goes my life, my baby girl. She's off to college, she's on her own now. My little girl.

My thoughts kept going back to 18 years ago, when Noelle told me she was pregnant. We were

just in high school. I remember the thoughts of feeling too young, I swear I was just a kid then. I

had so many plans. I wanted to travel, play the drums with my band in California. I didn't think

I could handle being a dad. I wanted to run away, forget she had told me that. I thought my life

was over, I didn't see it going good in any way. I was wrong. Just thinking about when Ava was

born, Noelle and her had become my everything. She meant more to me than life itself. It was

hard at times, all the bills we had. But I wouldn't change it for anything else in this world. She

had become my life, my future, my everything.

10 comments:

  1. the way it is shown on here makes it kind of hard to read for me, but it was a good story, i like it cus its something people go through all the time, sending there kids off to college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this story, and Like how you have alot of dialogue. I would reccomend not double spacing every two lines though, because it makes it really hard and annoying to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Ron. I really enjoyed reading about the emotional strain on a father as he sends his precious daughter, his everything, off to the big world. I loved how you were able to portray the emotions so well and tie it all in at the end. It wasn't bland or dull to read. Niiice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed how you established the connection between the father and daughter and it was touching. I liked how it is a normal story that most parents will have to go through. It was kind of annoying to read because all the spaces in between, I don't know if that was on purpose but I would get lost. good job though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job i liked the way you built up the connection between the daughter and father it was very well done. The spacing was annoying and hard for me to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you could i would fix the context to a way that it is easier to read. I liked it and its a good job on how explaing what its like for a dad to see his daughter leave

    ReplyDelete
  7. You stuck to the song, but added more details and emotion and I liked it. I also liked the flashback because it made it seem more like a story than the song did. I also wish that you would change they way it's formatted because it distracts from the story you are trying to tell. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked your adaptation on There goes my life. It was touching and through your great word choice and good descriptions, I could feel the emotion you had the characters portraying. This was a very good adaptation. Good Work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed reading this. next time please dont double space it, gets confusing. it was still very well done! great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like it because its real and its something that happens to families on a daily basis

    ReplyDelete